Global

Attacks on Afghan vote centres leave 63 dead

Attacks on Afghan vote centres leave 63 dead

Tolo News, a local website, said three voter registration centers around Afghanistan were attacked before Sunday.

The blast hit Sunday morning as peopled waited to pick up their voter identification cards ahead of the country's October elections, Interior Ministry spokesman Najeeb Danish told VOA News. They were originally scheduled to be held in October 2016, but due to election reforms and security situation the parliamentary elections were postponed to July 2018 and then to October this year.

In the neighbouring Kunduz province, eight terrorists were killed and four others wounded after Afghan army and intelligence agency operatives launched an operation in Aqtash district, .

President Ashraf Ghani said the Kabul attack and another reported in Pul-e-Khumri were "heinous terrorist attacks".

But IEC member Mohazullah Daulati acknowledged that officials were concerned about security and low voter turnout.

The attack comes nearly a month after another deadly attack by IS in which a suicide bomber carried out an attack near a Shiite shrine in Kabul that targeted attendees celebrating the Persian new year.

Romania slams plan to move Israel embassy
A USA official said the embassy would be located at a provisional site in Jerusalem that now houses a US consular section. Last week, Dancila named Netanyahu's personal physician Herman Berkovitz as her honorary advisor.

Aware of at least 57 victims.

The Afghan authorities have struggled to protect the voting centres despite having deployed...

The voter registration process started on April 14 for the polls.

Taleban militants released the five last Thursday. Both groups regularly carry out attacks, with the Taliban usually targeting the government and security forces and IS targeting the country's Shiite minority. "This is not only an attack on innocent civilians but also an attack on the democratic rights of the Afghan people".

Some Western and Afghan officials expect 2018 to be a particularly bloody year.

General John Nicholson, the top United States and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) commander in Afghanistan, told Tolo TV last month that he expected the Taleban to carry out more suicide attacks this fighting season.